Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tie-Dye T-Shirts

My husband works at a facility for at-risk kids and every year he helps out with their week-long summer camp. One of the (ahem) delights of this job is wearing one of two tie-dyed t-shirts all week long. This last summer he was assigned the pink team and so I'm sure there is no doubt as to why once the week was up, those shirts ended up on my refashion pile.

My original idea (since tie-dye is usually not my style) was to just fashion them into some sort of sleeping attire. But then I thought perhaps a swimsuit cover-up. I think my final creation is somewhere in between.

I used two t-shirts, sewing the hems together (you can see the sewn line), then cutting the bottom one off under the armpits. I cut off the arms and the collar from the top shirt.  The beautiful thing about t-shirts is that a cut edge can be stretched and it will form a clean-looking edge. This is what I did with all my edges: collar, arms and bottom. I then sewed it up to create a bit of ruching and then hand-sewed the bows on ( literally made by cutting rectangles from the unused portion of the t-shirt and tying them in the middle).

1 comment: