Tuesday, January 24, 2012

No-Butter Butter Chicken aka Murgh Makhani

Thank you to my loving sister, who asked me to co-author this blog, you got me hooked on Pinterest ! So in honor of my new-found addiction I will share one of the recipes I was inspired to "repin" and also made for dinner tonight. No-Butter Butter Chicken! A lightened up version of a very popular Indian dish. I doubled the recipe and I'm so glad I did because it turned out SO good! The original inspiration is from Bal Arneson on The Cooking Channel's site.

My slight changes:
* no tomato paste used
* marinated chicken in spices
* no brown sugar in my recipe
* added eggplant

So first off the recipe called for tomato paste, of which I had none, so I did this:

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
several cloves of garlic, UNpeeled
black pepper
thyme
olive oil

Spread tomatoes out on a lined sheet pan and throw on the garlic. Sprinkle with pepper & thyme. Drizzle generously with some olive oil. Bake at 225 for 3 hours. The tomatoes will shrivel up and just be divinely tart and sweet. If not using right away, store in the fridge with a little oil over them. Squeeze the garlic out of their skins and add to the tomatoes and oil, or use in any recipe as a sub for fresh garlic.

Before:

After:

Now on with the show!

No-Butter Butter Chicken
4 T. light olive oil
1/2 large white onion, chopped
1/4 c. slow roasted tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 T. garam marsala
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
1 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. salt
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 small eggplant, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 T. ketchup
1/4 c. plain yogurt (not lowfat)
1/2 c. water
fresh chopped cilantro & parsley for garnish

Combine the chicken and eggplant in a large bowl. Add 2 T. olive oil, the garlic, ginger, cumin, garam marsala, chili flakes, tumeric and salt. Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge. Heat remaining 2 T. oil in a large skillet; add the onion and tomatoes. Saute, stirring often until onions begin to soften and tomatoes start to break down. Add chicken mixture to the pan. Cook over high heat, stirring often for about 5 minutes or until chicken is looking mostly cooked. Add ketchup, yogurt and water to the pan and stir. Reduce heat and simmer another 8-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened.

Serve with Baked Brown Rice, fresh cilantro & parsley, and extra roasted tomatoes.
**Warning! This is a SPICY dish! On the 1 to 5 hotness scale, my husband rated it a 3. If you want things milder, omit the red chili flakes.**




I want more...right now...yes, it was THAT good!

No comments:

Post a Comment